Re: at least!

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:23:42 PST

Amen, Phillip.

I have wanted to respond to your postings since you started showing up in
my incoming-list, but was caught up in the catching up whirl. I agreed with
so much of what you wrote, and then there would come one or two points that
I wanted to disagree with, in a thoughtful way... and while I was thinking
the mailstream moved on.

Your "simple test" is just SO striking for me. And as one of the speakers
of another first language, inhabiting an academic system and everyday
surroundings shaped in THAT language... I also know how hard it is to
pick-and-choose among the available English terms when it is also a
differently organized system. Hah! this is the dusha/mind problem in a much
more bureaucratic context!!

Some years ago I used to share an office with another grad student, a
British woman whose husband was a professor at the Uni of Tech here. She
spoke Swedish fluently and even ventured to write in this exotic lingo, but
her husband lived mostly in the English tongue. I was, on some occasions,
quite fascinated to hear them discussing matters of Göteborg Academia: in
English, with cameos of Swedish, for all the specific positions and
procedures in our system!

cheers
Eva

At 08.18 +0000 0-03-03, Phillip Capper scrobe: