Re: at least!

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:05:26 PST

At 13.29 -0600 0-03-02, Dale Cyphert scrobe:
>The tendency of Western groups to attend to the will of the highly
>verbal as though it were the will of the group is fairly well
>documented. From the demogogues of the oral age, to the writerly
>philosophers of the Modern age...and now in the postmodern chaos of the
>electronic world.

Yes, the thing with the electronic world is that you only "see" the ones
who push the send button. As represented by the fruits they float into the
mail river. Reading your xmca mail -- or even just scanning over the lines
that announce incoming list mail in order to delete or save for that later
reading you never catch up with (I think we ALL have been there) -- you get
a sense of who is there how often. Always makes me think of CR Gallistel's
expositions of the numerical abilities in animals, among which there is a
sense of frequency of salient events.

Even having looked as much into the quantitativities of Xmail as I have, I
still find it hard to maintain as much of a sense of how large and how
awake the auditorium is, as one does in a lecture hall.

Now, the CHATter will say: there must be a tool for this. There ARE tools
for this... ... ... ... ...and then the weber gremlins (code word for the
quirky effects entrenched in the system setup) will veto it :-(

;-)
Eva