Re: Paul -- on the rules proposal?

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@mail.lesley.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 17:26:06 PST

Hi Paul,

Good point -- the social obligation to respond to a direct question could go into a new-comers guide.

Took a few moments to follow up on your question of consensus/representation:

From Eva I get the following baseline data for the year 1999:
 on average 53 individuals send an average of 242 messages each month.

17 individuals contributed to 60 of the messages I sorted that had something to do with the participation/rules discussion. It was just a quick sort and count -- so I won't argue over its validity -- it's a ballpark figure.

To compare the last 10 days of "rules" messages to 1999 baseline:

the number of people posting "rules" messages amounted to 1/3 of the expected number of contributors for a month, and 1/4 of the expected number of messages for a month. It's moot what model you choose to extend the 10 day data to one month.

bb