Fwd: [GKD] Innovation Strategies for the Knowledge Economy

From: Gordon Wells (gwells@oise.utoronto.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 06:38:13 PST

Following on Mike's forwarded message, members of the xmca community may
be interested in the GKD list, which posts a variety of messages related
to the introduction of Information Technology in developing countries.
I'm forwarding one of today's messages as an example.

I've clipped the unsubscribe portion of the welcome message I received
from this list as I assume the same address would be used in subscribing:

<If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list,
<you can send mail to <Majordomo@mail.edc.org> with the following
<command in the body of your email message:
< unsubscribe gkd

Gordon Wells
                ---------------------------------

Dear Global Knowledge Development (GKD) Colleagues:

It is with great interest that I have listened to the recent postings in
preparation of GKII in Malaysia. It warms my heart since such
conversations were not thinkable only a few short years ago. Indeed, in
1987 when this focus on knowledge was born, many of us wrote about
intellectual capital. Intuitively, we knew it was the right focus, but
we had no idea that the acceptance and action would be so swift. I offer
the article - 'Momentum of Knowledge Management' -
http://www.entovation.com/momentum/momentum.htm - that appears in many
languages, including English, French, Norwegian, German, Spanish, Dutch
and Turkish. By the way, if there are 'listeners from other languages,
please let us know and you may be able to provide the translation for
your native language!

I have attached the posting that occurred in the YKS (Youth for
Knowledge Societies) discussion group that is happening in parallel with
this - all in preparation for Malaysia. I am fortunate to be presenting
on March 7th and this is a sneak preview of messages I might deliver.

However, the focus of the GKD discussion is a bit different and requires
a different offering. Many of you have served - are serving - in
academic posts...as have I. Others of you have served - are serving in -
government posts...as have I. Some of you (not enough) have served - are
serving - in industrial posts...as have I. Regardless of the vantage
point from which you view this economic opportunity, there are more
similarities than differences. How might we come together to create
collaborative (not competitive) advantage?!

Please take a few moments to review the Global Knowledge Leadership Map
- http://www.entovation.com/kleadmap/index.htm - that represents a
diagonal slice of the Entovation Network - now 5000+ people in 62
countries. When you visit the Map, be sure to click on the star so you
will see the photograph, contact details and insights from people around
the world on the Knowledge Economy. A summary of their insights - again,
in multiple languages - is provided in the Global Momentum of Knowledge
Strategy - http://www.entovation.com/momentum/globalmn.htm.

Finally, as we approach the Malaysia GKII, perhaps we can consider the
concepts and implementation strategy outlined in the "Blueprint for 21st
Century Innovation" - <http://www.gkii.org/articles/blueprint1.htm> -
and "Creating the World Trade of Ideas" -
<http://www.gkii.org/articles/blueprint1.htm>. We have an opportunity to
envision a world that does not yet exist and the power of our commitment
to sustainable development to increase the standard of living worldwide
- developing and industrialized nations alike. The common language and
shared vision is emerging...and under the rubric of the Knowledge
Economy.

See you in Kuala Lumpur...
Debra
***************

Debra M. Amidon
Founder and Chief Strategist
ENTOVATION International, Ltd.
2 Reading Avenue, Suite #300
Wilmington, Massachusetts 01887
USA

T: 978/988.7995
F: 978/988.7996
E-mail: debra@entovation.com

"Innovating our Future...together."

************

Dear New Knowledge Colleagues:

What a fruitful discussion has ensued on this topic. I have enjoyed the
debates as will as the insights from all corners of the globe.

I already made my own small contribution -
http://www.entovation.com/whatsnew/millennium.htm - as my own research
has been outlining the vision toward which this knowledge economy might
be going - and the role of youth, which I have chosen to call the
Knowledge Millennium Generation.

Now, listening to the next action steps, I would like to offer a
suggestion that could harness your planning.

The 'Information Society' or the 'Information Economy' may have been a
misnomer. The shift from the Agricultural Era into the Industrial Era is
now catapulting into the Knowledge (NOT the Information) Era.

There are 3 important reasons that this rubric could help provide both a
foundation and vision for your future dialogue and plans.

First, when we speak of an information society and focus on the
technology, we are - by definition - creating a society of "haves and
have nots." There are those that have the technology and those that do
not. There are those who have access to information or education and
those who do not. Even the programs - as well intentioned as they may be
- provide only incremental improvements - and at significant cost. When
we focus on knowledge, the knowledge of everyone is important.

Second, the Knowledge Economy is a very human - and we hope humane -
society. Knowledge - again, by definition - resides inside human beings.
It is not something easily packaged and carried away. Rather, it is a
very social process - the value of interaction, communication,
interdependence and yes, even collaboration - not competition. We have
far more to gain by learning from and with others than wasting our time
and talent on competition. Technology becomes the enabler to fruitful,
meaningful and actionable information - that is knowledge.

Third, let's visit the original platform for the Information
Superhighway. It was called the NII - National Information
Infrastructure - and later became the GII at the G-7 discussions. The
original platform was "build the facilities and services that enable the
efficient creation and diffusion of useful information." The original
design was one of knowledge (useful information) and innovation
(creation and diffusion) - not one of information or necessarily
technology.

Therefore, I would offer that your agenda - and the dialogue inherent
therein - has been a discussion on Innovation Strategy for the Knowledge
Economy.

You have an unprecedented opportunity to define the future and outline
an infrastructure within which ideas are created and moved to the point
of need and opportunity. It is an agenda for the public and private
sector. It affects every economic level simultaneously (i.e.,
micro-economic, meso-economic and macro-economic). It creates a new
Knowledge Value Proposition - one that is based upon economic
performance (intellectual capital), behavior (social capital) and IT
(technological capital). The balance of all three resolves the
productivity paradox that has plagued the computer/communications
community for decades. It offers a common language and a shared vision
forward.

Is it possible that the 'I' in ICT might stand for Providing INNOVATION
with Computer and Communications Technology for Sustainable Development?

I will be joining many of you in Malaysia on the 7th and 8th. I am eager
to do what I can to help your able voices heard where your insights and
actions will make a difference - and a sustainable one. For the
meantime, I applaud what you have already accomplished and eagerly await
your recommendations.

For those interested in learning more about the 'other ' GKII - check
the website - http://www.GKII.org/ - and especially the 'future visions'
that are quite consistent with your own!

Always in your Network,

Debra