RE: middle class/intellectual labor

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 12:30:04 PST

Hi Matvey and everybody--

Matvey wrote,
> This parallel was somewhat provoked by Eugene's description of
> how the term
> intelligentsia evolved. I have to credit my friend with his historical
> knowledge but will suggest that middle class is just the opposite of
> intelligentsia and "intellectual labor" has no meaningful relation to
> either of them.
>
> I base on the assumption that in the mechanism of American economy middle
> class has a special role (interestingly, American in that statement may
> mean both US and N.America). This role is to be a consumer. My assumption
> is that middle class's function is to consume. Unfortunately for some
> people, they have to have money to be able to pay for what they consume.
> The balance of American politics is how to maintain middle class as a
> vibrant consumer. A very limited number of people are needed to produce
> goods with today's high productivity, so producers cannot be sufficient
> middle class. So there appears a need for "intellectual labor" --
> sufficient amounts of people who follow rules, play a game carefully,
> produce nothing but ensure their survival through creating obstacles,
> bureaucracy, etc. The most intellectual of their skill is to be able never
> to question, feel comfortable in a tie or white blouse, and be serious
> about making great deals purchasing more and more services and goods.
> Things middle class/intellectual laborees do not need are
> bookcases because
> .. books are contagious. My point is that though middle class wears white
> and its labor is called intellectual, their function is to
> consume, not think.

I think that Matvey is right about strong association of intelligencia with
critical thinking and education at least in Russian contexts.

I also want to point out at Kohn's work about the relationship of middle
class and types of jobs that require decision making, choices, and
creativity. I have read about Kohn's work in John Tudge's chapter in Artin
Goncu's new book that I strongly recommend to all of you.

Eugene