Re: Prototypical defining middle class

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 13:19:28 PST

>I hope I missed something in my prototypical definition of middle class and
>people will come to add and change items on my list.

one thing I would add to the prototype is disposition of the middle class,
specfically, since members of the middle class live in a world largely
designed by others like them, the structures & norms are invisible, and
since it has more to lose than upper and lower classes, it has more stake in
the world as is. Fierce defense of norms; comfort with surveillance...

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183