Re(2): pokemon contexts & childhood

From: Kathryn_Alexander@sfu.ca
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 12:47:21 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

>>all this to say - given the chance I think most kids are consumer
>>traitors -- they get the stuff - but they know how to re-shape the tool
>>- not necessarity in the ways that are intended. In fact we used to
>>love to mock/mimic the flood of mattell / hasbro/ etc. christmas
>>commercials - wierd children doing silly play - even though we lusted
>>for
>>the goods.
>
>...lusted for the goods - ack, doesn't that disturb? that the lust for the
>goods is increasing to such maniacal proportions?

perhaps i wonder at the agency of assorted parents/ teachers here
admidst the tv/street child culture - because the consumers-in-formation
( children) are really ventriloquating what they are given. I mean - we
seem to brand our kids from infancy - from flammable GAP baby stuff -
to the omni-present "Shadow of the Mouse" - to Micky D's food - which
seem to have hijacked infancy/ childhood - it is everywhere, but
curiously no where if it isn't brought into dialogue.
Phil speaks about banning the pocket monsters, and creating a
dialogue about it with his son, I watch my media savvy friends become
seeming helpless as they acquire a household of Disney products from well
meaning in-laws, friends on the birth/adoption of their children.

It is strange that by saying no to products/clothing options we can be
accused of cruelty - ( as I often thought of my parents).

we live in strange times, eh?.

kathryn