Re(2): twisted internalizations

Phillip White (Phillip_White who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:16:13 -0700

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:

Leigh wrote -

>I wonder if we could say something like the positive/negative valence
>depends on whether or not you are alone?

during the last year exploring adult development using chat as a theoretic
lens - really, to keep me focused and 'disciplined' - and at the same time
reading the literature of adult development regarding lesbians and gays,
it seemed that WWII was an enormous watershed in the breaching of the
isolation for those outside of the major metropolitan areas, which did
have thriving gay and lesbian communities.

>There's a resonance in your talk about the queerest among us being the
>most
>radical twisters.

however, i also learned that those gays and lesbians who really
pushed the cultural/social limits were mostly working-class, blue-collar
folk - the more economically and socially privileged one were, the more
likely it seemed to be that one was all the more closeted.

Stonewall Bar was, afterall, a blue collar bar - and similar
riots in San Francisco in the earlier 60's were also working class gay
actions.

so, although Cecil Beaton - one example - is certainly queerly
queer, you wouldn't find that lady on the barricades.

the lastest movie about this "Boys don't cry" is exactly about a
woman who loves women - she refuses to identify herself as lesbian / dyke
- and moves within a working class milieu - was certainly pushing the
limits of radical gender bending.

academia as a whole is highly reticent to position itself queerly -
and often confronts what it doesn't like through silence.

phillip