Re: co-constructions

Helen Hasan (helen_hasan who-is-at uow.edu.au)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:10:30 +1100

--------------2CA7465281228AF9B8ADB335

Victoria

Here are a couple of items about the Aussie Referendum that might interest you

1. The only one of our 6 states to get a majority of "yes" votes was Victoria,
named for the long serving British Monarch.

2. There was a strong correlation of "yes" voters with education, wealth and urban
living. The less well education, the less well off and the country voters were the
conservative "no" voters.

3. Our Prime Minister, who framed the question, is a strong anti-republican.

4. The estimate by pollsters was that there is an 80-90% sentiment that we should
have an Australian born head of state.

5. Probably there is the same support for the notion that our system of government
has worked very well and there is no need to make any drastic changes.

Helen Hasan
Wollongong (near Sydney) University

Victoria Yew wrote:

> Mike,
>
> More food for thoughts to add to your contribution ...
> Recently, the land Downunder ("Aussie Land") has gone on a national vote for
> either a republic nation or remain loyal to the British Monarch ... and the
> latter won, all because of confusions over interpretation of what a republic
> for Aussieland would mean.
>
> Sad ... why can't Aussie land have an Aussie head of state??? The Asians (eg in
> S.E Asia) have thrown out the British monarch yonders ago, and reinterpreted
> Colonial history ... in very much different manners.
>
> Upon reflections, I wonder if the politicians have been reading XMCA recently
> ... for ideas of creating confusions ... 8-)
>
> So, the saga continues ...
>
> Victoria
>
> Mike Cole wrote:
>
> > In the background is tonight's BBC news. The story is about the crash of
> > the Egyptian airplane and its causes. The Americans and Egyptian officials
> > cannot agree on the interpretation of events. It seems like a fabulous
> > opportunity for understanding in a different way the work that chuck
> > and candy goodwin have done on being socialized to "see-as". I hope someone
> > is collecting relevant artifacts!
> > mike

--------------2CA7465281228AF9B8ADB335

begin:vcard
n:Hasan;Helen
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Department of Business Systems, University of Wollongong
version:2.1
email;internet:helen_hasan who-is-at uow.edu.au
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Helen Hasan
end:vcard

--------------2CA7465281228AF9B8ADB335--