Re: A question of selves

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:29:38 -0500

"Didnt Vygotsky speak of an interweaving of the biological development
plane with that of the sociocultural plane. What do
you think?"

Luria is being cited more within neuropsychology lately and often in ways I
think totally devalue the spirit of his work. In a recent piece he was
cited and Pinker was used to justify his work. While a lot of work in
neuropsychology has great potential for cultural-historical theorising, at
present it is being used to biologicalize the cultural-historical processes
of development. One being an article by Smith, Patalano & Jonides in which
it goes from Luria's research on the brain to make the argument for rule
based "reasoning" and ends up with Pinker and an innate rule based approach
to language.

As far as Vygotsky, in *Child Psychology* he went to great pains to explain
that what he meant by internal was not biological. While Vygotsky was very
concerned with a child's interests and motivations, and argued for a
particular developmental progression, I don't think that is synonymous with
biological. Vygotsky's use of higher/lower mental processes was not
interactionist as Ratner points out. The biological processes were replaced
by the cultural ones. The cultural was not only mediation by artifacts or
signs but also the functional system. In this sense, there in no such
thing as the biological interacting with the sociocultural because the
functional system in which the biological is realized is a cultural one.
Elkonin, who is rather consistant with Vygotsky's developmental ideas
argues for the system "child in society".

Vygotsky spoke of an individual and social plane, an intermental
(psychological) and intramental (psychological) plane, but I have never
interpreted it as biological or social one. Vygotsky consistantly argued
for the individuals active role in this process, and that tends to be seen
as synonymous with the biological for various bio-political reasons. In
*Thinking and Speech* Vygotsky argued that word meaning was part of the
"zone of sense", again pointing to his interest in the individuals sense of
the word, but that sense was not biological.

/\ / /\ | /-----
/ \ / /__\ ---|--- /---

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/~nschmolze/
schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu

"Pedogogics is never and was never politically indifferent,
since, willingly or unwillingly, through its own work on the psyche,
it has always adopted a particular social pattern, political line,
in accordance with the dominant social class that has guided its
interests".

L.S. Vygotsky