Re: teacher ed critique/

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Sun, 30 May 1999 14:07:31 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Diane HODGES <dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca>
To: <xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 1999 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: teacher ed critique/

I enjoyed Diane's poem very much, well, it did have a poetic ring to it. I
liked the differentiation between stupitity and ignorance. It reminded me
of an Ed Policy class I was in, in which upon discussing class issues and
the state of some schools I was of the conclusion this could only exist
because of ignorance. There was so much information it could only happen
because of ignorance, a deliberate attempt to stop caring, a conscious
attempt that as long as my school is o.k. everything is fine. What
surprized me was the other students, mostly from nice middleclass suburbs
were actually shocked at the inequality. They couldn't believe it existed,
if only someone had told them that this kind of inequality existed. Rather
than ignorance they were stupid in Diane's sense of looking but not seeing.

> (A young would-be teacher asks me what to do about homophobia if she
> doesn't believe in homosexuality...and all i can think is she isn't even
> thinking about what she is asking - she isn't thinking. Teacher? NOT.Will
> she be? YA!! Blond haired, blue-eyed Christian girl, sweet as all get
out -

Doesn't believe? Doesn't believe it exists, or doesn't believe a group
should be dignified as human. I remenber when during my internship we did
a unit on difference which focused heavily on homosexuality, and was
bothered by the emphasis on demonstrating homosexuality or aids was not a
sin, so they did not deserve to be treated less than human. What bothered
me so much about this reasoning was that if one could demonstrate, it was
aids in particular, that it was medical instead of moral one had no
justification in treating them less than human. What that left open was
the reasoning that if we can villify a group or group of people on moral or
other grounds treating them less than human is legitimate. Morality, tends
to go hand and hand with who is human or not human. If we can demonstrate
a group as immoral then we are justified in treating then in a certain
fashion. Children are immoral or "ignorant" so we are justified in
treating them in a certain way that we would not treat "humans". Delpit in
discussing developmentalism with Native Alaskans reflects on what an elder
said, "we don't think in that way, we see children as humans from the day
they are born.

The joke, the joke, tell it again, please!

NATE

> nate eugene, and others,
>
> I have been reading this chain of thought, and it was nate's mention of
> the reference to the stupid teachers than spurred this all, that first
> stupid and ignorant are different - ignorance is willful; stupidity is a
> lack of depth, a contentedness with appearances and surfaces - not bad or
> good - but different.
> and there are stupid teachers and stupid students with way high GPAs,
> and there all kinds of einsteins on the street bumming quarters;
stupidity
> is satisfaction with what seems to be. seems to be straight A's. GPA
Rules.