RE: teacher ed critique

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sun, 30 May 1999 16:44:07 -0400

Hi Nate and everybody--

Nate wrote,
> What caught my attention and pissed me off was the assertion of
> the "stupid
> teachers". I would like feedback because those that get into our SOE even
> with its emphasis on getting those into education who haven't received the
> highest grade has the highest per student GPA out of any school or
> department in the whole University. Newsgroups and articles point to the
> low standards of teacher education, but from my experience their the ones
> with the highest GPA.

I have a few observational comments and mainstream discourse demonstrated in
the article:

1. The discourse suggests "good" student is "smart" student. Or even
reverse, "smart" student is "good" student.

2. Evidence of "smartness" is in student having high GPA.

3. Students who want to be teachers are failure themselves. This supports
common "wisdom" -- if you can't do anything else become a teacher.

I can offer my personal observations about preservice teachers that I teach
to refute each of the points. Let me start in the reverse order. In my
view, I, as a SOE instructor, struggle exactly with my students being very
school-successful. They are often ones of the best. And this is the
problem (for me). They have very high grades (and GPA). They study and
work for grades. This is not just my observation but their own testimony
articulated in our class and web discussions. They often have never
experienced academic learning for pleasure and they think, at least
initially, that it is impossible. They are great survivors of institutional
control and pressure. They are street smart of knowing school shortcuts.
They have great dreams of becoming teachers who make differences in their
kids' lives. And still they are aiming at becoming a part of the great
circle called mainstream institutionalized Western education crashing
participants' interests, dreams, pleasures, potentials, and abilities. The
essence of school machine: control, discipline, transmission of knowledge,
meeting benchmarks, blaming kids and parents, fatigue, and indifference will
claim many of them. JOB -- concerns with promotion, survival, dealing with
burnout -- will soon replace their dreams. Of course, schools are not alone
(and probably not even a main player) of this reproducing circle, but
definitely important phase as research on schooling shows but it is another
story.

What do you think?

Eugene