Re: sensory standard

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:33:20 -0600

Leigh,

I think there is probably no doubt that Veneer advocated a more objective
conception of "sensory standards". What I do think he offers at least for
me is sociocultural role in schemes/standards. For example a Piagetian
emphasis on schemes gives the impression that they become acquired more or
less naturally. What I take from Veneer is the importance of the
sociocultural context in explicating the schemes-standards. With such an
interpretation, which of course deviates from Veneer quite a bit, it can be
more dynamic as in utilizing the child's strengths. Personally, I am a
skeptic of the so called natural unfolding acquiring of sensory standards
schemes. We (U.S.) have as many objective standards of cultural schemes as
anyone else, but if children don't acquire them we see it as a
developmental lag. What I get from Veneer is that these schemes are not
solely in the head, but can be seen in models, venn diagrams etc. if the
objective standard in important. Veneer to a certain extent de-naturalizes
the idea of schemes coming out of "natural development".

As for what this denaturalization means, I have many of the same question
as you. Whose standards and whose benefit do these standards serve? At
least with Veneer unlike Piaget we are not fooled to think the standards do
not have a political connotation. Many of the aspects of Piaget's stuff -
classification etc.are naturalized so the political agenda is hidden. If
classifying, serration etc. is part of natural development then there is
not to much the question. If a child can't or won't classify we see them
as developmentally delayed not resisting or creating as exception to a
standard. As you, I find the tension between standards-exceptions
interesting and find the tension itself important. I kind of see it as a
child on a see-saw going to one side and the other but never really getting
to the point of balancing (equilibrium). Equilibrium is death!

Nate