Re: Family microcultures

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:39:08 -0600

Elsa,

I have El'konin's 1971 article at
http://www.geocities.com/~nschmolze/elkonin2.html

It seems to address many of the issues you mentioned in your post. It sees
the personality coming about out of the dialectics of the affective and
intellectual spheres of development. One could read affective as social
and intellectual as biological pretty safely. I see El'konin as
synthesising Piagetian, Freudian (Erickson) and Vygotskian ideas into a
unified developmental framework.

Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Elsa de Mattos <emattos who-is-at magiclink.com.br>
To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Friday, March 12, 1999 12:05 AM
Subject: Family microcultures

People tend to strongly rely on genetic/inherited or sterotyped aspects
when considering personality, I mean, they rely on personality traits and
other static aspects. But, in my opinion, we have to consider more deeply
the dynamic aspects. In the discussion with teachers, they were referring
the relationship between culture and personality in classroom practices.
They were considering personality in a very superficial/static way, talking
about how student's personality frame learning styles (a concept that I
don't like very much). I started to think and I want to bring them to think
together with me in a more dynamic way. I asked them to reflect on the
question: isn't that family microcultures that frame personality ?
What do you think about this question ? What could be a good development to
it ?
Hope someone can help me on this.
Elsa