Fw: Vygotsky and Inclusion

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:23:09 -0500

Mike

As I continued to read Vygotsky's text on defectology more
closely he did appear to endorse inclusion as the way of the
furure. The dielemna with inclusion for Vygotsky was how
children with disabilities were treated in the regular school.
He argued it dialectically as follows; children with
disabilities integrated in the old school was the thesis,
special education as the antithesis, and inclusion being the
synthesis. (my words) He saw the future as every teacher being
a special education teacher. I think part of my confusion was
the chronological order of the text. In one chapter he was
argueing for special education, later on he was argueing for
inclusion, and still later on he appeared to be accepting of
Binet who he strongly attacked earlier in the book. After I was
able to move away from the chronological way I normally read a
book, I was able to make more since of his progression of ideas.

I remember being attacted to Vygotsky because of my impression
of the value he placed on context. In Thought and Language he
tells a story of the drunks to have an indepth conversation
using only one word of profanity. He further argues against the
German phonics method because it takes away from the meaning
from the text. For me, context takes a on a socialcultural
significance, while meaning has a person solo significance.

Nate