RE: Non-reflective recursivity

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Wed, 20 May 1998 21:08:00 -0400

Dear Marie--

We definitely have common interests. Are you going to be in Denmark? if
so, we should meet for sure.

Can you provide the exact reference of your paper describing the research
you mentioned, please ("_At the Point of Need: Teaching Basic and ESL
Writers_, from Heinemann"? Your research is extremely interesting for me.
I like your terms of "positive and negative spiral." It nicely captures Jim
Wetsch's point that process is product. Spiral with its quality and value is
the outcome of a recursive process.

You wrote,
> These positive spirals displayed successive aspects different from the
> negative sequence you described above. When teachers based methods on the
> assumption that all can learn and looked for evidence for that belief
> while sharing what they knew about how good writers write, students
> experienced breakthroughs in (1) AWARENESS about how writing is done
> (experienced worry about copy-editing on later drafts, for example). This
> in turn triggered breakthroughs in (2) ATTITUDE (less writing anxiety,
> more willingness to take risks) that were followed by changes in writing
> (3) BEHAVIOR (less resistance, procrastination and concern for correctness
> on first drafts, writing more honestly and choosing topics they cared
> strongly about). These were then followed by (4) increased and improved
> WRITING, which brought more positive (5) RESPONSES from peers and faculty.

I have slightly different (community-of-practice -oriented) terminology to
capture similar feature of what you call "positive spirals." Let's if you
would agree with me that we are very close in our definitions:
1. NORMALIZATION of newcomers' experiences in a new practice. This means
that the community of practice accepts newcomers' experiences as legitimate
through a "normalizing discourse." For example, student's writing is seen
not as failure to be clear but as a first draft of brainstorming of ideas.
2. ACCESS to the practice for newcomers. This means that old-timers
prioritize participation for newcomers rather than, for example, competence.
For instance, the teacher should prioritize and organize reply to students'
ideas and feeling in their paper (the primary function of written
communication) rather than correct their spelling. In my personal
observation, the best way to disable an immigrant to speak is to correct his
or her accent.
3. ADDRESSIVITY (SOCIAL RECURSIVITY) of newcomers' contributions: outcomes
of newcomers' contributions are used by other members of the community and
vice versa. For example, it can be beneficial if students write not only to
the teacher but to other class members for their replies.
4. AUTHENTICITY (PSYCHOLOGICAL RECURSIVITY) of newcomer's contributions:
"recycling" involvement into a new practice in other aspects of a newcomer's
life. For example, students can find that essay writing can be useful for
articulating their ideas for their non-academic interests.
5. MUTUAL ACCEPTANCE (MUTUAL RESPECT) of the newcomer by the community and
the community by the newcomer. This means that newcomer's concerns emerging
from his/her background, ways of life, beliefs, attitudes, and values,
experiences are considered to be valid by the community and vice versa.

Of course in the reality not all of these features usually come together but
I found these principles useful both as reflective and as guiding tools.
What do you think?

I like your emphasis of what I call teacher's "ideology" and you refer it to
teacher's "lenses" and "filter":
>The recursive spiral you
> describe above fits our teams' collective understanding of what happened
> when teachers looked at writers' work through a negative lens (as
> expressed in such common beliefs as "writers are born, not made" or "some
> people can learn to write well, but others probably can't").
>
> When writing was viewed through the filter of such assumptions, we
> observed downward spirals of increasing failure and frustration in
> students and (as a result) similar downward spirals of increasing failure
> and frustration (cynicism, burnout, increased elitism) on the part of
> instructors who had chosen a negative lens. Student grades and scores
> confirmed this negativity.

I think teacher's ideology often guides the teaching design, however, the
relationship can be more complex. For example, a teacher maybe not very
skillful in his or her ideology to be guided. But I guess it is another
issue.

In any way, I have we have similar approaches to teaching as a design. I'm
very interested in your experiences, inspirations, and thinking.

I know that you are probably busy as a bee (I feel myself as a beehive :-)
but let's keep talking as much as we can under these circumstances. I'm
also interested what other people think.

Eugene