Re: non-fixed objects (Re: Unidentified subject)

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
21 May 1998 00:02:06 -0000

I just read Naoki's message addressed to Bill, to which my previous
supposedly responded.

Naoki, Can I assume that you would accommodate individual human subjects
in an AT account, if it would serve the purposes of an interavention?
Surely you are NOT proposing that from the AT perspective,
we ought not to focus on individual subjects...? - Because
if a model of the system is to feed back into the system, it would
have to do so by way of individuals....

I don't like the terms of cognitive psychology either, but I am
reluctant to accept the purity of ANY model, because it has to operate in
messy material practices. There may well be good reasons to articulate
AT in terms that can be understood by participants who think as COGs
(in terms of cognitive psychology).

Judy

, in activity theory,