Re: space & gender

Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 18:04:27 -0300

Hi Diane,

Thank you for the explanation.

Here in Brazil we have equivalent terms:
For "tomboys" = "Sapata", "Sapa", "Sapatona" or "Sapatão" ( Sapatão
means strictly "big shoes" )

For "Faggy" = "boyola", "fresco", "viado", "viadinho", "frutinha",
"mona", "adé"

But many "frutinhas" don't worry about being called so, they do assume
they are diferent without any problem, and boys usually apreciate
"frutinhas", something like a bissexual culture...

Well, this behavior change from social class to social class. High
midle class are more "homophobic". Low midle class are more
"bisssexual": to be "man" means "put a stick in any bottom".

We have a "square magazine" character called "Mônica", designed and
conceived by Mauricio de Souza, who is a "tomboy" girl who are the
leader of a children group. She is very popular among children of all
social classes in Brasil.

Bye.