Re: affectivity: feelings and emotions

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 18:49:34 -0500

Hi Amy and everybody--

I'm thankful to Amy for the brief review of "Attunement theory." It is very
interesting. I found that it is interesting that the theory of emotions is
used to manipulate people (e.g., customers). I wonder if there are
theories that can't be used to manipulate other people. For example, can be
a theory of genuine collaboration or genuine love to be used for
manipulation? By "using", I do not mean misusing like, for example,
constructivism can be taught in a transmission of knowledge way and I do
not mean "creative use," like in Diane's motto "Every tool is a weapon if
you hold it right." What I mean is, probably, "legitimately apply" or
something like that.

What do you think?

Eugene

At 05:30 PM 2/25/98 +0000, you wrote:
>When I first joined this list, I wrote that one of my research interests
>was "synchronisity" (this is William Condon's term as cited in Hall's Dance
>of Life): I've been waiting for others to get around to this intriguing
>topic. I'm afraid I don't know too much about this yet; it amazes me that
>more research has not been done in this area. But I recently read about
>"Attunement theory", which seems to be the same idea: developmental
>psychologists have done studies that shows that a mother's voice causes
>physical movement in an infant. I use another example in my nonverbal comm
>classes: sales people (as well as counselors) know that if they want to
>"open" a buyer up, they should physically position themselves so they are
>mirroring their customer, who is likely to be in a "Closed" position (arms
>& legs crossed, tense body, etc.) Then the salesperson slowly moves
>themself into an open, relaxed position. The customer will then (often)
>move to mirror the salesperson, and open themself up. Once they are in an
>open physical position, they become more open emotionally (and thus
>suggestable.) THis goes along perfectly with what Hall wrote about. The
>example in a previous message, with kids on a playground, is really a type
>of "dancing". But he mentions another experiment where two people who are
>very close are being filmed talking, and when a frame-by-frame analysis is
>done, you can see their movements perfectly mirror eachothers: they are
>synchronised, over a period of several minutes.
>
>THis is really mind boggling, because it shows how connected we are through
>emotions. One last example that seems to tie into this: how often have
>you seen someone get tears in there eyes, or you hear tears in their voice,
>and you instantly have a rush of emotion and get teary eyed?
>
>Thank you Angel for the sources you gave about teachers-students in Alaska.
> I haven't read anything about synchronicity in the classroom, but I know
>it happens because I often witness it myself. I know Hall claims that the
>only way you can really see this "dance" is when it is filmed and viewed in
>slow motion, but I have seen it happening myself. There must be others who
>are aware of this to: that often times another person's emotions,
>transmitted through their voice or body, has a direct effect on your
>body-emotions???
>
>Amy

Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266