Re: visualization of change

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:52:51 -0600

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu,External writes:
> Kathie
> It would be fascinating to hear whether your 12-year old or your
>students spontaneously use any of the ecological concepts in daily life.
>Also, how long did your child spend on the simulation and is (s)he still
>at it? Was there an initial burst of activity that is dying off or is
>the
>interest in this sort of thing growing?

Max, my 12-year old, started with SimCity two years ago. I was just
discovering it and I went through the typical addictive process and
have been dry, so to speak, for more than a year. Max went far beyond
me with things like checking out the third party guide from the library
and working with a group of friends and brothers squeezed around the
computer monitor. He used the scenario editor and Internet resources to
"beat" the game. I thought this was fascinating because one of the
things that I took away from my SimCity binge was that there is no way
to win, the game never ends, no conclusion, no score, no way to beat
the system. Max redefined what "beating the game" meant. When he
reached that self-defined objective, his interest dropped off. He moved
on to another game.

He plays a lot of simulations and is very good at them. I suspect a set
of ecological strategies are being transferred from one game to the
next. As to your question about daily life, I am not so sure. What
would you take as evidence of ecological thinking in daily life?

Kathie

\\\\\\\\\\\\\You live you learn
\\\\\\\\\\\You love you learn
\\\\\\\\\You cry you learn
\\\\\\\You lose you learn
\\\\\You bleed you learn
\\\You scream you learn////////alanis morissette:jagged little pill

Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~kegoff/index.html