Re: sociocultural/drama <Kerry.Elliott who-is-at jcu.edu.au>

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 23:00:08 -0700

At 8:14 PM 10/16/97, Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu wrote:
>Reading your message, I found some old known "friends".
>
>Would you please answer me a few questions?
>
>1) Are you developing any research on theater-education?
>
>2) In your opinion what's the diference between "drama play" and
>"theater games"?
>
>3) Are you "from" UCSD?
>
>Thanks.

Hi Ricardo, ...I'm not entirely sure if you're asking me, or Kerry, but I'll
scratch out a response, and mebbe Kerry will join in?

I can't say I'm involved in drama/theatre to any formal extent,...

my research is

community-based, art-activism. The writers I listed there in
my, ah, effusive note, are influences more in my thinking about

art as a political tool, and as metaphors
for thinking outside of education-based models... I like the marxist influence,
but not the androcentric applications that organize the historical

aspects of Brecht, Williams, Benjamin... well, all of them, really,
lack a certain, um, feminist sensibility. So, it's *very* interesting to
re-construct materialist/feminist/queer ways for

thinking about/and implementing art as a tool for mediating the spaces
between the marginalized, and the dominant community.

as I say, I think there aspects of theatre in the "everyday" which are
much more intriguing than formal threatical productions.

You?
diane (UBC)