Re: sociocultural/drama <Kerry.Elliott who-is-at jcu.edu.au>

Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:50:22 -0200

Thanks for reply.

diane celia hodges wrote:

> At 8:14 PM 10/16/97, Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu wrote:
> >Reading your message, I found some old known "friends".
> >
> >Would you please answer me a few questions?
> >
> >1) Are you developing any research on theater-education?
> >
> >2) In your opinion what's the diference between "drama play" and
> >"theater games"?
> >
> >3) Are you "from" UCSD?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> Hi Ricardo, ...I'm not entirely sure if you're asking me, or Kerry, but I'll
> scratch out a response, and mebbe Kerry will join in?

I was asking you. But Kerry's answers will be welcome.

> I can't say I'm involved in drama/theatre to any formal extent,...
>
> my research is
>
> community-based, art-activism.

That's the major Theater education direction in Brazil: interaction
between people mediated by Theater.

The writers I listed there in
> my, ah, effusive note, are influences more in my thinking about
>
> art as a political tool, and as metaphors
> for thinking outside of education-based models...

Yes, it is a strong tool. In school education too.

I like the marxist influence,
> but not the androcentric applications that organize the historical
>
> aspects of Brecht, Williams, Benjamin... well, all of them, really,
> lack a certain, um, feminist sensibility. So, it's *very* interesting to
> re-construct materialist/feminist/queer ways for
>
> thinking about/and implementing art as a tool for mediating the spaces
> between the marginalized, and the dominant community.

Why not in school education?

> as I say, I think there aspects of theatre in the "everyday" which are
> much more intriguing than formal threatical productions.

We are interested on studying "drama play" and "theater games" without
formal theatrical productions objectives in school education...

developed