Re: Worries (Re: Diversity Issues...)

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Wed, 08 Oct 1997 16:59:54 -0400

Hi Jo=E3o and everybody--

Your story is very sad and very educational. I'd like to ask your
permission to use the story in my class on "instructional strategies" (I
hate the title). I'm sure your story generates a wonderful discussion and
learning experience for entire class (including myself, of course). =20

My U Del colleague and I wonder if it is a good idea to develop a database
of such educational stories on WWW. What do you think?

Eugene
PS I have an embarrassing question, how to pronounce your first name
correctly? My knowledge of Spanish is limited to read something like
"Khoa," but I'm sure that I'm wrong.

At 11:13 PM 10/6/97 -0300, you wrote:
>Eva Ekeblad wrote
>
><If I may ask you, like I did with
>> Tomasz Czub, to "tell a story" (and NOT be Academic and give us the names
>> of Great Men).
>> Eva
> Eva and xmcaers
>
> You solicite me one "story". I know several stories which involve
>diferences. I try relate one.
>I worked at one school which one pupil aided in the cleanness of the
>school. One teacher seeing the pupil clean the scholar patio, tell: "This
>pupil is homosexual". I asked: "Why?". "Because he is clean the patio with
>one broom. This work is for women and no for men". This were the response
>to my question. Immediately I commenced to discuss the questions of genre,
>sexuality, the social construction of diferences, etc... Later, these
>questions were discussed in the teacher collective.
>
> I could perceive - in this situation an in the others - that this persons
>have preconceptions about much things and is hard take them to one
>reflexetion about their attitudes. The pre-conceptions actuate as an
>"organizer" of behavior into the quotidian -this remember me Vygotsky when
>discuss the functions of language. The persons have fear in front of
>situations which question their perceptions, their actions, etc...=20
>=09
> I think that to take these persons to discuss into the collectivity their
>perceptions, their posture, etc... is an situation much delicate, because
>the persons can feel discrimination, threat, exclusion, etc... and to lower
>their self-steem.
>
> Jo=E3o Martins
>

>JO=C3O BATISTA MARTINS
>RUA ANISIO FIGUEIREDO, 476
>LONDRINA - PARAN=C1 - BRASIL
>CEP 86065-630
>
>TEL: 043 3385208
>
>E-MAIL jbmartin who-is-at sercomtel.com.br

Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G=20
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266