Re: Ideology and adolescence

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:57:32 -0400

Hi (Zdrastvuite) Francoise, Tomasz, and everybody--

I just sent a reply to Tomasz with exactly the same recommendations. I
should have read all messages before replying.

Anyway, I'm start thinking that Bakhtin's early work "Art and
answerability" can be useful for Tomasz, although it can be difficult to
read because it is dense with ideas some of which were left very sketchy
(at least, in my view). In this essay, Bakhtin discussed relationship
between "spirit" (i.e., creative agency) and "soul"(i.e., consummated image
of the agency -- a gift from others). One of the reason for the reference
is that Bakhtin develop dialogic rather than developmental approach to
analyzing human nature. Although, he might not directly talking about
ideology you may find so his deep insights on this topic that are very
different than you can find in other authors (there are similarities as
well, of course).

Eugene

At 08:22 PM 10/1/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi Tomasz, Hi Eugene, Eva and all interested. Jim WErtsch and
>Bill Penuel (are you there?) wrote a good paper on identity
>formation -in-action, inasuch as that is what you might be
>referring to as ideology in late adolescence. They reveiw much of
>Erikson's work on identity formation who, incidently has a rather
>beautiful view of the adolescent's role in evolutionary terms
>(i.e.; adolescents pick and choose so to speak what stays, as
>positive in evolutionary terms), fly from there to show how
>adolescents fight to impose their identity on the world at large
>(surrounding them.) This is why WErtsch and Penuel speak of
>identity -in-action. Dolto has another take on adolescence. She
>speaks of transition and rupture with childhood, in particular the
>ability to separate at many different levels (separatio of the
>imaginary from the real, dreams for real relationships and
>separation from family- that is when the parents' fears longer
>take hold on the individual).
>
>References, when y ew keyboard comes in the mail. I am loosing y
>"m, n, and right shift key".!
>
>Francoise Francoise Herrmann fherrmann who-is-at igc.apc.org
>http://www.wenet.net/~herrmann
>
>Great for doing "cloze" texts!

Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266