Re: ESL proficiency for academic work

Dale.Cyphert who-is-at uni.edu
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:10:50 -0600 (cst)

I can't recommend any particular literature on the broader subject, but I did
some interviews with ESL students at Penn State with respect to their success in
public speaking courses. The factor that seemed to predict success was NOT
their "objective" facility with English but with their own self-perception of
how well they "ought" to be speaking English.

For instance, the Japanese exchange student with only a fair command of English
was doing well in "regular" classes by confidently asking for help from
instructors, expecting (and getting) peer support, aiming for the 'gist' of
material without undue concern for perfect mechanics.

By contrast, a Korean-American immigrant with accented but fluent English,
avoided speaking in class, sat quietly rather than ask a question, and exhibited
all the symptoms of communication aprehension that can destroy any student's
academic success. Even though he was fluent in conversation, this student rated
his own English as "poor" and felt that as an immigrant of 10+ years he "should"
be speaking flawless (i.e. unaccented) English.

My prediction would be that "tested" English proficiency will make far less
difference than the context in which language and learning interact.

I'm presenting this research at NCA in November. It's not extensive but you're
welcome to a copy.

Dale Cyphert
University of Northern Iowa