Re: Quandry

Francoise Herrmann (fherrmann who-is-at igc.apc.org)
Thu, 16 May 1996 12:03:29 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi,
> The author of the Chalice and the Blade is R. Eisler.
> My students have always liked this book.
> Vera
>
> On Tue, 14 May 1996,
> Genevieve Patthey-Chavez wrote:
>
> > Francoise,
> >
> > Have you tried _The Chalice and the Blade_? Can't remember the author just
> > now. If you want her name, I'll bother to dig through the library...
> >
> > Genevieve

Hi Vera, Thank you for the author name on the Chalice and the Blade.
I am still reading A History of Their Own. And now nearing the end of
"Women in the Fields". Once past the conceptions of difference, I
am finding it delightful in all of its details and interesting in
how hsitory has been re-conceptualized to account for what is seen a
women's experience of it. The authors (Bonnie S. Anderson and Judith
P. Zinsser) mentioned in the preface that this had been their first
hurdle: finding new anlaytical categories. "There was no Renaissance
for women -at least not during the Renaissance"! So all of my pegs
are getting reshuffled. But in general I am thinking that this book
mirrors the history of art traditions, when the first shows of
women art (in the 60s) were of mundane everyday objects. Judy Chicago
and others yet to come... I am thinking , and perhaps hoping to find
an anlogue of this sort in the some 1000 pages yet unread...

Francoise
Francoise Herrmann
fherrmann who-is-at igc.org