Re: learning from lectures Re: Stone article

Gordon Wells (gwells who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Wed, 8 May 1996 16:57:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 May 1996 dykstrad who-is-at varney.idbsu.edu wrote:
> Me, too. What I am wrestling with is that I am stuck with these large
> "lecture" classes for the forseeable future. I occasionally see sparks of
> really good discussion going on which seems to engage both directly and
> vicariously many of those present in the room. I've seen much more of this
> in the past than lately with at least 100 in attendance. What I'm
> wondering is how to get this sort of engagement more frequently if not most
> of the time. Since it _can_ happen occassionally, then why not most of the
> time?

Dewey,

A strategy that I often use (though I don't have groups as large as 100)
is to ask the class to form groups of 4-6 members and to discuss the
issue, or try to decide on the group's point of view where this is
appropriate. Then in the last few minutes of the session, a member of
each group reports on the group's discussion (and conclusions, where
appropriate) to the whole class. Alternatively, the reporting can be
postponed to the next session, where it can be the beginning of further
discussion or of further observations/experiments that need to be carried
out in the light of the possibilities that have been raised.

Further refinements include: asking the group to produce a brief written
statement of their position, or a question that they feel needs to be
addressed, which can either be multicopied or posted for all to read;
asking each student to write a brief statement of their current thoughts
on the topic in the light of their group's discussion. Many of my
students (practising teachers) tell me that they prefer to have taken
some time to write down what they think before being asked to contribute
to a large group discussion. (If you are researching your teaching,
these written notes provide an excellent source of data, in addition to
audio or video recording of the whole class (or small group) discussion.)

Gordon Wells, gwells who-is-at oise.on.ca
OISE, Toronto.