[Xmca-l] Re: A question on Profit.

David H Kirshner dkirsh@lsu.edu
Sun Mar 21 04:25:53 PDT 2021

Harshad,

Ignoring "e." which precedes the list sv1, sv2, ..., which I take to be a typo, I see the statement  “Limit of profit of M for the day can never be higher than the sum sv1+sv2+…. + sv10" as true. Equally true, Limit of profit of M for the day can never be lower than the sum sv1+sv2+…. + sv10.
The reason is that you have defined your variables categorically, without variation.

You introduce Q as the total quantity of product community produced, suggesting that Q may be a variable. But Q does not play a role in the final statement you are asking us to evaluate, so its variation is not relevant to the question. Put another way, either the surplus value changes (is recalculated) each day depending on Q (and other unknown variables like, price per unit quantity), or Q is constant, and there is no need to recalculate the surplus value each day. Either way, by definition, the surplus value svi is the profit earned by M from the labor of Li. So M's daily profit can never be anything but sv1 + sv2 + sv3 +…. + Sv10.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Harshad Dave
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2021 5:52 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] A question on Profit.

Dear All,

As per labor theory the unpaid labor (surplus value) is the profit. I present one simple case here with a question.

There is a Master M with a productive work set up under his command. A raw commodity is processed and the product commodity is exchanged by M with third parties. There are L1, L2, ….. L10 labours working in the work set up on a daily wage basis and get reward in terms of money wage say wg1, wg2, wg3… wg10 respectively. As per the labor theory there must be unpaid (surplus value - sv) labor amount in each wage i.
e. sv1, sv2, sv3…. Sv10. If Q is the quantity of the product commodity produced by labours (L1, L2 …L10) Then… my question is….

Is it true that “Limit of profit of M for the day can never be higher than the sum sv1+sv2+…. + sv10?

NB: I have tried to explain my question with all the possible clarity.
However, if you need still further clarity, please feel free to ask before you extend your views.

Regards,

Harshad Dave