[Xmca-l] MLK on overcoming racism

Larry Smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:17:24 PST 2021

>From Francine:

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~From the “I have a dream” speech (MLK)

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. (MLK)

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies. (MLK)

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Diana Arya <darya@education.ucsb.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 3:30 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: "learning loss"

Dear Shirin and all,

Thanks so much for sharing this article!  Yes, there are many of us who find it problematic when we read that students have "lost" an "average X months of learning" . . . the econometric machine is hard at work, and some of us are starting to see an additional underlying agenda that supports the marketing of new curricula and hence profit. And meanwhile, the longstanding need for real transformation in education is left unaddressed.

I particularly liked the following:

"Deficit thinking also defines the ways of speaking and knowing<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://blogs.umass.edu/jdrosa/files/2015/01/Avineri-et-al.-2015-Bridging-the-language-gap.pdf__;!!Mih3wA!TSmCyas87McxqNpyYt8qhxlgVa0VjT0sXfTsk_mTEF6OgQeJLVGEsQItwlrQCPaet78B8Q$> of youth of color as problems rather than cultural-historical practices<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.3102/0013189X032005019?casa_token=ZDcGRDAYyGIAAAAA:jN6rz4ui3sURlBdpgIRun06M00e7ENMGeM9buR3hEa9tHtdRu4kwQX8-JEWLqxDUx8SqNf45Pa4fGA__;!!Mih3wA!TSmCyas87McxqNpyYt8qhxlgVa0VjT0sXfTsk_mTEF6OgQeJLVGEsQItwlrQCPYYbo4TtA$> essential for ongoing, deep learning<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2006-07157-029__;!!Mih3wA!TSmCyas87McxqNpyYt8qhxlgVa0VjT0sXfTsk_mTEF6OgQeJLVGEsQItwlrQCPY4LqbZXA$>. In fact, basing education on one way of speaking and knowing undermines critical thinking and individual and collective well-being<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/multiple-ways-knowing-beth-warren-shirin-vossoughi-ann-rosebery-megan-bang-edd-taylor/e/10.4324/9780203774977-19__;!!Mih3wA!TSmCyas87McxqNpyYt8qhxlgVa0VjT0sXfTsk_mTEF6OgQeJLVGEsQItwlrQCPZuSj98Cg$>."

And on this MLK holiday, I will reflect on the authors' final questions:

"As we witness what pandemic-era schooling has further illuminated, what lessons will we head? Will we embrace the complexity and diversity of young people’s brilliance and promise? What are we invested in and what do we need to let go of to create the future we desire?"

IMHO, there is no way to avoid issues of racism and other sources of bias in CHAT topics. I acknowledge those in this community who may view such sociocultural and sociohistorical matters to be separable (or perhaps avoidable), but for many of us who grew up in the U.S. and went to U.S. public schools, it is impossible to separate racism and other forms of discrimination from activities in the context of learning, which is culturally and historically laden and, hence, has documented roots in racist/discriminatory policies and practices.

Maxine & Shirin:  You do an amazing job on outlining the enormous task before us as educators and researchers. Thank you for your efforts in bringing the truth forward.

Best,