[Xmca-l] Re: Welcome to the "xmca-l" mailing list - an introduction from Mick

Mick Chesterman M.Chesterman@mmu.ac.uk
Wed Jan 6 06:29:44 PST 2021

Thanks for the replies from Huw and Helena,

For some reason they are not coming through to my email but I was able to read them on the list archive.

Helena, I'll look into the work of Colin Barker, it'll be good to have that link to the organisation where I work.

Huw, I take your point on a false dichotomy of craft-first / concepts first approaches. Sometimes there's a tribalism among practitioners concerning favourite tactics. It reminds me of similar tribalism of social movements - I have to confess I've been guilty of that in the past before embracing what was helpfully framed as a 'diversity of tactics'.
It's also useful to think about what is an appropriate level of engagement with the deeper parts of the related theories you mention (CHAT/CHT/AT). Ideally I'd like to have that deeper understanding even if it's not a focal part of the study, as a way of avoiding gaffes. So I'll lurk for a while to do that!

Thanks
Mick

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Mick Chesterman
Sent: 23 December 2020 17:22
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu

Hi there,

I've just joined the list and wanted to quickly introduce myself. I'm Mick Chesterman. I'm working and doing a PhD part-time at Manchester Met UK, in the ESRI (education) there. Before that I was involved in activist/community work often doing web/media training. Indymedia (for anyone that recalls) was a big part of that time. I still run a related free software documentation project https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://flossmanuals.net__;!!Mih3wA!RMQWWH8R95meDhmGcZWbHjZZi-qp2F_7we2v-HFtUhD9ZsU0kH89S6RleelCyUh6PFLWnQ$

I've signed up to the xmca list as I'm starting to lock down the framework and methodology I'll use for my PhD thesis. I'm becoming aware of the need to prioritise beyond "something around design experiments and CHAT" to pick key concepts to elaborate. So I'm here to pick up info that will help me do that work, perhaps ask questions if I get stuck, to keep an ear out for suitable conferences or development opportunities and possibly find future research partners.
"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer__;!!Mih3wA!TxMTECMX2taMXz1KXzcXqL72e2y65ps7mEc3c_pSw59qBid2-O9YaRV-7R482GcNcTMxsw$  "