[Xmca-l] Re: Andy Blunden on unit of analysis and Huw on cognition

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Tue Sep 8 14:22:07 PDT 2020

Andy, I think you’ve exaggerated a bit the differences between Husserl and Dewey. Husserl’s views of the goal of phenomenology changed over his life. (And his students, who included Gustav Shpet, Edith Stein, and Roman Ingarden, each had their own views.) But broadly speaking, Husserl considered phenomenology to be the study of experience from a first-person perspective. That was not an unreasonable idea, given the way we generally think about experience, as a phenomenon of subjectivity. As such, phenomenology is an investigation that certainly includes the ‘what’ of experience: the objects that a person perceives, thinks about, feels about, and acts towards. But Husserl wanted to bracket any presuppositions about the *existence* of those objects in order to focus on and understand the active, constituting role that he believed consciousness plays in any and every experience. That’s to say, he didn’t believe that an experience is simply a passive copy or reflection of its object.

Martin