[Xmca-l] Re: The Idea of the Idea

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Wed Sep 2 17:44:30 PDT 2020

As I see it, the governments are pumping vast amounts of
cash into the economy to stimulate the economy. Governments,
being what they are, give a bit of it to poor people who
will actually spend it, but most of it goes to wealthy
people via tax cuts and corporations supposedly so they'll
spend the money hiring people. But because of the pandemic
people don't have much to spend discretionary money on and
there is absolutely no prospects for productive investments
while businesses are going over the cliff like lemmings. So
what do you do with the money? You invest it in the Stock
Market, which is not paying dividends, but it can still
absorb the money with wealthy people buying and selling
paper to each other. The result is that the total amount of
money in the economy increases but all of it in the hands of
the wealthy, while the cash in the hands of the poor is
going down. The result is declining real economic activity
(making things and doing things for other people) and
massively increased inequality, because even though the
stocks don't generate new wealth, they can still be
converted into the same money you use in the Supermarket.

andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!XRbYrYRrIZ1UhRKXtLKsmhreiCptJ8yy703Vu0VRPnE3HlElcDm2ORo6LhbAel9OO0qL-A$ >
Home Page <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm__;!!Mih3wA!XRbYrYRrIZ1UhRKXtLKsmhreiCptJ8yy703Vu0VRPnE3HlElcDm2ORo6LhbAel_qPzx9FA$ >