[Xmca-l] Re: Video series: Join the discussion

Carol Macdonald carolmacdon@gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:08:20 PDT 2020

Hi guys

I have looked at the video, and see there are more there to view. I think
it is important for Vygotskists to all take on board the concepts of crisis
and contradiction. If we cannot talk in these terms then we might as well
be progressive educators who talk about *mediation* as if that refers to
some (unspecified) *good* form or teaching-learning rather than the essence
of *any* learning. They have been using that mantra for the last 30 years.

I am working on an Australian form of cross-curricular reading called *Reading
to Learn, * which is highly structured by the teacher, and may at first
glance look like an old form of instructivism. However, it is precisely
because the teacher presents the learners with a crisis that effective
learning happens.

Carol

Carol A Macdonald Ph.D (Edin)
082 562 1050