[Xmca-l] Re: Translations - Shona and Russian

Mary van der Riet VanDerRiet@ukzn.ac.za
Sun Nov 29 19:57:32 PST 2020

Dear Zaza
Thank you for detailed response and translation of the song. I did not know that it was so explicit about what one could call the 'real' reasons for transmission (power, gender), especially during those critical years in the southern African epidemic (the song was released in 1999)

regards
Mary

Mary van der Riet (PhD), Associate Professor
Discipline of Psychology, School of Applied Human Sciences, College of Humanities, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
email: vanderriet@ukzn.ac.za                      tel: +27 33 260 6163

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Zaza Kabayadondo <zaza.kabayadondo@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, 29 November 2020 22:26
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Translations - Shona and Russian

I'm moving this to a new thread...

Thank you for your question, David. I didn't realize people were using Google Translate. It's great for some languages - not so much for anything from Southern Africa at least as far as I've observed.

Yes, I do speak Shona. I like to distinguish between functional Shona and idiomatic Shona. Functional Shona is literal and idiomatic Shona is literary (though spoken). I'm not a Shona linguist so I'm making up terms for the distinction I perceive but there might already be a convention for how Shona linguists describe the difference. Functional Shona is what you will hear people using on the streets. It is a more literal or explicit way of speaking and very similar to European meaning and sensemaking. In functional Shona you might say "I am tired." "She arrived yesterday." It some contexts it is considered rather crass to speak so directly of your feelings, wants, needs. I contrast this to idiomatic Shona which is a version of the language our elders spoke, it reflects pre-colonial Shona culture and thinking because it "beats around the bush". You would rarely directly ask a question, everything was a metaphor, a vague suggestion, never explicitly spelt out. It is more diplomatic, more evasive, and can be problematic when it comes to talking about social or political issues. Tuku sings in this idiomatic style. Tuku's song Bvuma is the best example of his style of which allows for double entendre (He is saying "Tolerance has faded" but he could also mean "Just accept that you're old."

Todii is about HIV/AIDS. Originally, "utachiwana" meant any virus or germ, the underlying cause of an illness, but over time the only virus people talk about is HIV. (In "Hutachiwana" the "h" is a modifier emphasizes you mean "the virus"). The style is call-and-response which is typical in Shona folk music, both traditional and contemporary. The call and its response should be read as one sentence.

As for the lyrics in question:
Zvinorwadza sei kubhinywa newaugere naye...(Kana uinahwo utachiwana)
Translation: How it must hurt to be raped by the one you live with...If you have a virus
Zvinorwadza sei kubhinywa neakabvisa pfuma** ...(Kana uinahwo utachiwana)
Translation: How it must hurt to be raped by the man** who married you ...If you have a virus
**The literal meaning is "by the one who paid roora (lobola/bride price)"
Achiziva unahwo hutachiwana...(Kana uinahwo utachiwana)
Translation: When he knows you have the virus...If you have a virus
Ende uchiziva unahwo hutachiwana...(Kana uinahwo utachiwana)
Translation: And you know you have the virus...If you have a virus
In the last two lines the response almost implies "hypothetically, let's say you have a virus." And for me this is really where the song touches on the sensibility of HIV/AIDS as it was experienced in Zimbabwe in the moment of the song. Not knowing who has it, suspecting who has it etc. Tuku was masterful with his play on words and structure.