[Xmca-l] Re: Translations - Shona and Russian

Zaza Kabayadondo zaza.kabayadondo@gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 12:28:42 PST 2020

Also... your other question about articles is super interesting to me
because I've been puzzling over the rules of Shona for a long time.

Does Shona have articles? Yes and no. We do modify nouns but we don't
follow the same rules as say French does with le, la, les. I like the
framing *What** kind of "the-ness" do you mean? The cat kind! *Technically
there is no article for "a", but in translation the absence of the article
means you mean a generic, unspecific unit of the noun - the equivalent of
"a". On the other hand, we have a lot of "the-ness" in Shona, but with more
nuances or qualification of what sort of "the" we mean. For example, the
small kind, the large kind, the despicable kind. So there's a distinct
article for the small cat, a distinct one for the fat cat, and one for the
gross/naughty/bad cat.

Ndaona kiti - I saw a cat
Ndaona kakiti  - I saw a little cat.
Ndaona zikiti  - I saw a big fat cat [I saw the big cat]
Ndaona chikiti  - I saw the cat (usually with more context to clarify the
cat is gross, naughty, etc)
To emphasize "the-ness" with the above statements you would add "-ya" to
the end of the sentence. But the "-ya" needs an agreement with the article
you used so it becomes "kaya" eg "Ndaona kakiti kaya" means "the one and
only little cat I am talking about" OR "the little cat."
Ndaona kiti riya - I saw the cat (but also I saw that cat)
Ndaona kakiti kaya - I saw the little cat
Ndaona zikiti riya - I saw the fat cat
Ndaona chikiti chiya - I saw the naughty cat

Plural forms:
Ndaona makiti - I saw cats
Ndaona zvikiti - I saw the little cats
Ndaona mazikiti - I saw
Ndaona twukiti - I saw the cats (usually with more context to clarify this
is a marauding pack of gross, naughty cats)

Question for the xmca community - are there languages you speak that do
extra work with their articles? Would love to see if there are patterns