[Xmca-l] Re: ...kind of like guarding Lenin's tomb

Anthony Barra anthonymbarra@gmail.com
Fri May 29 04:50:07 PDT 2020

Thanks, Mike.  I like this Franklin kid, and I never would've met him
without you sharing that chapter.

And here, in the closing paragraph, is one great answer to my question
about "guarding Lenin's tomb" type activities that likely support
development:
"Suddenly I recognize the difference between telling a child he must share
and saying, 'Pretend you are a boy who knows how to share.'  The first
method announces that a child has done something wrong. 'Pretend' disarms
and enchants: it suggests heroic possibilities for making changes, just as
in the fairy tales."

I hope we'll hear more ideas (be they role-playing or anything else) from
many others on this listserv.

Thanks everyone ~
Anthony

P.S. I've done a lot of role-playing with middle and high school students,
mainly via in-role writing, which they tend to enjoy and succeed at -- but
I really can't evaluate it from a development perspective, or more
specifically from a development-of-higher-psychological-functions
perspective.  Anyhow, a snapshot is here, and it's something that can
likely be amended for any age: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/upoxpz__;!!Mih3wA!TUH9TLwmfw8pwJ5lHRr3-kPrfEl6T5CLUAQdZ11uTtm67tXMvbgGUy1AZFkuhNIO6Lr5Dw$