[Xmca-l] Re: remote_online learning?

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Tue May 19 09:46:02 PDT 2020

Hello Tom Richardson
     This topic has been the front and center in the "Re-generating Chat
Project" that has just finished its
planned two year efforts that focused on the challenges to human
development, and theories of "Development
in the Anthropcene.  Two months ago, the word Anthropocene was replaced by
the code word, covid-19, a pandemic.
Both crises pose huge challenges to theories of development as well as to
actual development of huge numbers of people around the  world.
     The MCA-linked website, CulturalPraxis currently has a number of
essays on the challenges of this historical moment, and the opportunities.
      In the United States, the crisis has deschooled society in the most
dramatic way one can imagine -- A way that literally forced
a massive re-mediation of human life.  Education, the wheel house of most
members of this discussion over the years,
is now a family affair big time. Simulaneously, home-worksite relations
have been disassembled,  both modes and relations of production are getting
a shock that is crumbling institutions (home, school, work,).

We can really get the feel of Roy D'andrade's comment that doing social
science is like studying rocks in a rockslide.  This rockslide moves a warp
speed and its invisible.

Remediation of existing classroom structures is what we have been about for
100 years.
Seems like there has never been a more appropriate time to start providing
working models of effective practices that do NOT
assume that things will return to Christmas, 2019.

Thanks for asking.
mike

--

"How does newness come into the world?  How is it born?  Of what fusions,
translations, conjoinings is it made?" Salman Rushdie