[Xmca-l] remote_online learning?

Tom Richardson tom.richardson3@googlemail.com
Tue May 19 09:04:02 PDT 2020

Greetings Xmca-ers
I would   like to raise a question.
In the article by Naomi Klein linked below, apart from all the major
questions about  our futures  - personal freedom, health protection,
democratic control and the power of Big Digital Tech_AI, international
competition etc. that she raises, I wondered what from a Vygotskyan
approach to child/human development/education can / should be a reply to
these sentences on the 'home schooling' that has (or hasn't) been
happening  recently:

"Indeed, Schmidt has been relentless in pursuing this vision. Two weeks
after that article appeared, he described
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAyGVuRQME__;!!Mih3wA!VRgkzssOuSyNvpVQWR2QH7dShhiXD5eWtYs2HahNwv_pKUU7G9GOQZMrzIpGsa_-KDBGFw$ > the ad-hoc home schooling
programming that teachers and families across the country had been forced
to cobble together during this public health emergency as “a massive
experiment in remote learning”.

The goal of this experiment, he said, was “trying to find out: how do kids
learn remotely? And with that data we should be able to build better remote
and distance learning tools which, when combined with the teacher … will
help kids learn better.” "
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/may/13/naomi-klein-how-big-tech-plans-to-profit-from-coronavirus-pandemic__;!!Mih3wA!VRgkzssOuSyNvpVQWR2QH7dShhiXD5eWtYs2HahNwv_pKUU7G9GOQZMrzIpGsa-SnnFGDg$

Just asking
Tom Richardson
Middlesbrough UK