[Xmca-l] Re: Zoped etc

Bronwyn Parkin bronwynparkin18@gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:33:43 PDT 2020

Thanks all for the links to the historical documents, and the start-up of a discussion about a topic that is central to the work of my colleague Helen Harper in primary level schools. The ZPD is perceived in Australian schools as being ‘just beyond’ what the child can do, and scaffolding is often misunderstood as what Lundgren called ‘piloting’: nudging the ship into harbor with no need for shared understanding of goals or processes.

Even worse than next-day learning, scaffolding in the ZPD has been reduced to whatever can happen in one lesson: ‘I do – we do – you do’. There is a perception that every child has their own ZPD, and an individual and finite point of next learning. This leads to crazy teaching and learning practices where the teacher tries to differentiate for each child ( or more realistically groups of children) by planning different tasks at each point of need for each child. This is impossible. Consequently, the teacher can spend the whole lesson running around trying to manage the groups, keep them on task, replacing the far more important role of mediator of learning. The result is a lot of what we can call ‘shoosh and colour’.

An added complexity in our context of working with Indigenous students is the political nature of new cultural learning which is not always an easy fit with the world views of other cultural groups. The mandate to teach western science and mathematics is still questioned in some contexts. Nevertheless, we continue to investigate how to effectively apprentice students into scientific thinking which is so necessary for active citizenship in the 21st century.

So how do we scaffold the longer term development of students in science? We work with the whole class to develop intersubjectivity around the topic and share the goal. We continue to orient students to the activity system of science using language like ‘let’s observe that closely like a scientist does’ and ‘can we explain that like a scientist’. We explicitly teach the language required, talking about ‘powering up’ and ‘powering down’ from every-day language to the abstract and back again. We map scientific language, both vocabulary and grammar onto hands-on activity, and gradually shift the activity, from concrete to three-dimensional representations to language plus diagrams.

One of the most important pedagogic strategies is joint construction of texts. For many of our students, the language required to sound scientifically authoritative is way beyond their independent capacity, so we jointly construct oral and written texts; definitions, information reports and explanations together, with the students offering what they can, and the teacher filling in the other bits. Through ‘shared pen’, and then grammatical analysis, we provide students with the resources to eventually take control themselves, although that may take months.

In case anyone is interested, here’s our last research report 2017. Scaffolding academic language with educationally marginalised students. <https://www.alpaa.com.au/sites/default/files/downloads/scaffolding_academic_language_report_2017.pdf>

Regards Bronwyn Parkin

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Thursday, 12 March 2020 11:45 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Zoped etc

Nothing arcane, Andy.

Take a ubiquitous example:   in about third grade or earlier, kids in the us start to learn times tables.

The long term goal is to get them ready to deal with division and particularly long division. We observed this

orientation to the future curriculum linked to subskills developed in a science-themed curriculum and pretty much

any curriculum organized into a hierarchical sequences of levels of conception inclusion, I speculate. At least for experienced teachers.

Organizing to bring the future into the present in a way relevant to the students in a standard classroom is a challenge.

Ask anyone.  :-))

That's why there are teacher education teachers-- to do battle with that challenge.

mike