[Xmca-l] Re: Zoped etc

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 19:40:37 PDT 2020

The French translation selected by the late, much missed Francoise Seve for
her French translation of Thinking and Speech was "zone prochaine de
developpement" (the NEXT zone of development). This translation isn't
perfect either, because it suggests (in French) that the learner is not in
the zone yet, and so encourages us to think of the zone as the next
age-level or age-period rather than the zone connecting the learner with
that next age-level or age-period.

But it does have the great advantage of making it clear that the ZPD is
designed to be used with a periodization scheme that measures development
and not learning merely. Much more on this when MCA publishes the upcoming
special issue on the Geneva conference held around the French translation
of Vygotsky's pedological works.

I still think that the very best thing on this problem was a paper written
by Peg and Mike back in days of yore.

Griffin, P. and Cole, M. (1984). Current Activity for the Future: The
Zo-ped. In B. Rogoff and J.V. Wertsch (eds.) Children's Learning in the
Zone of Proximal Development.  In W. Damon (ed.) New Directions for Child
Development. Josey-Bass: San Francisco, Washington, and London. pp. 45-64.

That was really how I first twigged that the distinction between
"teaching-and-learning" and "development", that Vygotsky so insisted on in
the ZPD, was being completely occulted.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: 'Commentary: On the originality of Vygotsky's "Thought and
Word" i
in *Mind Culture and Activity*
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2020.1711775
Some free e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/SK2DR3TYBMJ42MFPYRFY/full?target=10.1080/10749039.2020.1711775

New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: "L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works
Volume One: Foundations of Pedology"

 https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270