[Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:56:18 PDT 2020

Annalisa--

There are four book titles in the previous posts on Gerald Edelman: "Bright
Air, Brilliant Fire", which is a general introduction, and the trilogy of
"Topobiology", "Neural Darwinism" and the "Remembered Present".

Edelman won the Nobel Prize for work on immunoglobulins, and then got
interested in a theory of consciousness based on a similar non-hierarchical
understanding of the relationship of the parts to the whole in the nervous
system. I remember hearing about it from his colleague Samir Zaki in London
some time in the eighties. A lot of important academic lectures were open
to the public back then. It kept me from reading the books for many years.

I did read Nuthall's work, but it was many years ago, so I much appreciated
your re-presentation, Annalisa. I will look again after class today,
though. I do like Anthony's videos, but I find myself listening to them as
I wash the dishes or tidy my study. Nikolai is often just giving Anthony
raw Vygotsky in a "just between you and me" format. This I prefer to get
studying Vygotsky in print

 A lot of music video done in lockdown has this "in your face" format too
(no distracting camera movement, no panoramic shots of cheering audiences,
and of course absolutely no CGI or narrative). I think in both cases the
representational and textual content is much the same, but the emotional
tenor is quite different. That is what I wanted to study in the 2007 paper,
and I think it would have been greatly complicated by a practice effect if
we'd presented the task three times.

There were practical considerations too. As I said, most of the tasks were
dramatic situations (in Nikolai's sense, in the sense of collision). For
example, two boys have an arm-wrestling contest to see who will be able to
take a girl to an amusement park in the textbook. When you do the same
dramatic situation three times, you can't actually reverse it. We did
reorganize this so that there was re-presentation of the task at three
levels: eight boys wrestle in two pairs, then the four winners go to
semi-finals, and finally two winners meet in finals. But Nikolai would say
that it is no longer a dramatic collision, and I think that's right

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!U5r7O6BqnUQluytUk0zY4vMMSRCZxVNSTuczXc_M2hraLWkIjlZQfXC2HdQxh_HzKqybNA$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!U5r7O6BqnUQluytUk0zY4vMMSRCZxVNSTuczXc_M2hraLWkIjlZQfXC2HdQxh_EpxTe7Jg$