[Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sat Jun 13 14:45:17 PDT 2020

Hello Philip, the horse lover,

I'd to thank you for posting Nuthall's work. I found it so insightful, not just about understanding learning, but also about understanding how research design can be misconstrued by cultural patterns and belief systems, and how we tend not to take in the reasons why the status quo IS the status quo.

There is something of a mobius strip in all that.

I anticipate that there is a lot of discussion about this very conundrum in Anthropology circles concerning methods of research and ethnographic models. What might they say about the problem?

I also was very riveted to Nuthall's observations of the ways in which  use of metacognitive turns can support a learner's awareness about how learning takes place, and how a learner comes to understand in themselves their own learning patterns.

----
Another observation I can't help but throw in to this is to share how in methodologies recorded in Vedic teachings there are accepted "protocols" in form for writing a teaching text. There is a method of using three forms. There is a Sanskrit word for this but it is escaping me at the moment.

Anyway it's basically at the start of every text there is a full rendering of what the text contains. This is usually done in a poetic and concise manner. Then there is a connection made with the reader about what one will gain from learning the text, and then there is the text as presented. Now I want to ask about what that is more precisely so that I'm representing it properly, but it is a special format that is adhered to quite faithfully.

Might this reveal that the ancients understood more than we might know about learning, especially in the handling of the text and its presentation of the underlying "lesson in three ways," which supports the human means (patterns) of learning (digestion or metabolizing) something.

In any case, thanks posting. Nuthall is quite inspiring.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of White, Phillip <Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu>
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2020 8:57 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

  [EXTERNAL]

rather than a test, David, perhaps a rigorous ethnography along the lines of what Graham Nuthall did -

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://researched.org.uk/graham-nuthall-educational-research-at-its-best/__;!!Mih3wA!Tbst4-RnyDRUs7MXG9INuncdaZK27ysULg-0Dsc3fnN7ivYlW5CDtHICHy4eekDs5tOydg$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://researched.org.uk/graham-nuthall-educational-research-at-its-best/__;!!Mih3wA!U4CMQps4MNhV4Y4qAOMoas5Dla-j0v-MYik_D63mVqMQoDdyz5QY0jZqpGwd6kVv1FWd6Q$>
Graham Nuthall: Educational research at its best – researchED<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://researched.org.uk/graham-nuthall-educational-research-at-its-best/__;!!Mih3wA!U4CMQps4MNhV4Y4qAOMoas5Dla-j0v-MYik_D63mVqMQoDdyz5QY0jZqpGwd6kVv1FWd6Q$>
Graham Nuthall: Educational research at its best 26th February 2019 / in February 2019 / by Jan Tishauser. Professor Emeritus Graham Nuthall, an educational researcher from New Zealand, is credited with one of the longest series of studies of teaching and learning in the classroom that has ever been carried out. A pioneer in his field, his ...
researched.org.uk

it was highly complex, but clearly from his finding emotions play a key role in concept formation.

he died about 16 years ago.  and oddly enough his work is still little appreciated.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Pedagogy-and-assessment/Pedagogical-leadership/The-cultural-myths-and-realities-of-teaching-and-learning__;!!Mih3wA!Tbst4-RnyDRUs7MXG9INuncdaZK27ysULg-0Dsc3fnN7ivYlW5CDtHICHy4eekANUYawwg$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Pedagogy-and-assessment/Pedagogical-leadership/The-cultural-myths-and-realities-of-teaching-and-learning__;!!Mih3wA!U4CMQps4MNhV4Y4qAOMoas5Dla-j0v-MYik_D63mVqMQoDdyz5QY0jZqpGwd6kVKl43myA$>
The cultural myths and realities of teaching and learning / Pedagogical leadership / Pedagogy and assessment / Home - Educational Leaders<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Pedagogy-and-assessment/Pedagogical-leadership/The-cultural-myths-and-realities-of-teaching-and-learning__;!!Mih3wA!U4CMQps4MNhV4Y4qAOMoas5Dla-j0v-MYik_D63mVqMQoDdyz5QY0jZqpGwd6kVKl43myA$>
The cultural myths and realities of teaching and learning. by Graham Nuthall. Download this complete document (PDF 149 kB) Help with PDF files Overview. Graham Nuthall was Emeritus Professor of Education at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz__;!!Mih3wA!Tbst4-RnyDRUs7MXG9INuncdaZK27ysULg-0Dsc3fnN7ivYlW5CDtHICHy4eekC0xrms-g$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz__;!!Mih3wA!U4CMQps4MNhV4Y4qAOMoas5Dla-j0v-MYik_D63mVqMQoDdyz5QY0jZqpGwd6kXD3p1_-w$>

Nuthall had participated in some of xmca conversation.

also, Gerard Edelman's work, which was the focus of an xmca conversation some time ago, points out that initials perceptions are initially sorted into one of two values - in layman's terms, like or dislike.  which is of course an emotional response.

Bright Air, Brilliant Fire: On the Matter of the Mind (Basic Books, 1992, Reprint edition 1993). ISBN<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISBN_(identifier)__;!!Mih3wA!U4CMQps4MNhV4Y4qAOMoas5Dla-j0v-MYik_D63mVqMQoDdyz5QY0jZqpGwd6kVQcrjGHA$> 0-465-00764-3<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0-465-00764-3__;!!Mih3wA!U4CMQps4MNhV4Y4qAOMoas5Dla-j0v-MYik_D63mVqMQoDdyz5QY0jZqpGwd6kWgq0yeVA$>

in short, there are many ways of exploring student emotions i'd consider to be more reliable that trustworthy than tests.

phillip