[Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 14:26:33 PDT 2020

Annalisa:

It's a great idea. But we are in the throes of "the dance" here in South
Korea. Schools reopen. Then there's an outbreak. So the government closes
schools again and we all go back into isolation for ten days. Then things
reopen again, until the next outbreak. Even when schools are open, class
size is greatly reduced, students are kept at least two meters apart and
put in masks (we don't have those crazy hats that you see in China, but
some schools use cubicles), and that would make it really hard to get peer
teaching, much less collect data from peer teaching.

We did do something like what you propose way back in 2007--we just looked
at the difference between the way a teacher presented the task and the way
that the task was represented to groups.

Guk, I. and Kellogg, D. (2007). The ZPD and Whole Class Teaching:
Teacher-led and Student-led Interactional Mediation in Tasks. Language
Teaching Research 11,3 (2007); pp. 281–299

I suspect that if you read this study you will find it methodologically and
even intellectually crude, particularly compared to what you propose, but
for reasons I don't really understand it's the only thing we ever wrote
that gets widely cited!)

Phillip:

Yes, ethnography would show precisely the kind of development we're
interested in. But I think ethnography is better suited to studying
stability than to studying crises. I get that crises are like anything
else--they need to be highly contextured to be well textured. But because
ethnography has a tendency to view the social and cultural and historical
dimension exclusively through the language of the interpersonal, it's
really hard to get genetic cross-sections that are broad enough and long
enough to tell you how the system as a whole changes at "inflection points"
(Joe Biden!) that are prepared for systematically precisely by those epochs
we are naively thinking of as stable. (Ruqaiya Hasan's work was one of very
few exceptions to this constraint....)

For example. One of the most important responses to the crisis revealed by
George Floyd's murder has been to argue that the protests are too easily
hijacked as pretexts for violence (see, for example, Boris Johnson's recent
remarks on the descecration of Winston Churchill's statue in Parliament
Square in London). This assumes, weirdly, a widespread tendency towards
unmotivated violence that I have never actually observed in any fellow
human being. I am pretty sure that Boris Johnson could probably find
someone to produce ethnographic evidence that it exists, but I am equally
sure that he couldn't ever produce evidence that it is systemic. Without
that evidence, there is no way to predict or explain the fire next time.

Language stuff is not like this: every text is evidence of both the
interpersonal and of what we are calling, non-redundantly, the
socio-cultural.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!WC3HFOsQ9Q1YrwAJJr6OrmYucGeF3_YdxFPBKTpboOV_8GcFMYTJ5DXB6_eP03Im5e4BWA$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!WC3HFOsQ9Q1YrwAJJr6OrmYucGeF3_YdxFPBKTpboOV_8GcFMYTJ5DXB6_eP03IavHbi-w$