[Xmca-l] Re: Eighth Grade Reading and Paradise Lost

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:42:06 PDT 2020

My proposal, Anthony and Martin, is precisely a change of pace. I'm not
sucker-punching: I'm changing the focus of attention entirely.

I did try listening to McWhorter (I don't know the other guy--never heard
of him). But I think there are two kinds of public intellectuals: people
who go public BECAUSE they are intellectuals (Michael Osterholm is one of
these--he's a public health guy, and it's basically part of his job
description), and people who are famous for playing intellectuals in
public. McWhorter whines because he expressed himself in ways carefully
designed to garner publicity and now pouts about the quality of the
publicity garnered. (Why am I not astonished that he knows a white guy who
got killed by cops who got off? Why am I unimpressed that when you take
away all the factors in which race is involved and look at tiny sample
sizes, you no longer see any racial bias?).  It reminded me a little of
teachers like me who pout when learners are less than astonished by my
astonishing insights. It makes me suspect that my insight is less than
astonishing, and I would like to try it out on a real reading teacher,
namely Anthony.

Here's the less-than-astonishing insight. We teach WRITING with the goal of
autonomy. We even teach SPEAKING with the idea of self-sufficiency firmly
in the back of our heads. As the vulgar interpretation of Vygotsky puts it,
the external mediator becomes restructured as an internal mediator (as
Vygotsky, who was a public intellectual too, put it rather better, what the
child can do with assistance today the child will be able to do tomorrow
without assistance). I find this a little beside the point, because
language isn't really designed to be internal--that's why Vygotsky makes a
distinction between inner speech and thinking.

But why don't we have a similar approach to READING? That is, why don't we
judge the success of our reading instruction in the same way that we judge
the success of our writing instruction: that is, by the hours the kids
spend reading outside class and by the quality of autonomous reading
experiences? Why is reading only judged by in-class comprehension?

Anthony: Milton's caesurae are just ONE example of a much larger
developmental phenomenon: Milton's decoupling of the sentence and the line
(the unmapping of prosody from grammar). The rhetorical purpose of a
caesura is to make the prosodic line unstoppable. My purpose is a little
different--it's to make the grammatical sentence comprehensible.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!WGrAuXYRvesbVdMAvIS-626lAO6ewLFAXcNAvBNOi-tSXBRDcWiQBg2mb596TBR-leG6Yw$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!WGrAuXYRvesbVdMAvIS-626lAO6ewLFAXcNAvBNOi-tSXBRDcWiQBg2mb596TBS9Usb6Zw$