[Xmca-l] Re: My Hometown Minneapolis

Anthony Barra anthonymbarra@gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 12:33:08 PDT 2020

Thank you, Annalisa.  I think what you say here about the real costs of
'waiting around for data' is quite beautiful:
"I feel that this is a perhaps unintended reaction that has a consequence
to prolong the lack of care our communities need. That is, to leisurely sit
and debate about causes while the injured bleed to death.

Maybe it's not appropriate to get "academic" about this right now. Maybe
there is an emotional bypass going on.

There's something very Cartesian about trying to solve a problem into parts
as if doing so will provide clarity of cause. The worth of African American
lives is not a mathematical proof. I feel this numbers talk dehumanizes
people.

At the same time, I'm not attempting to censor anyone. We need to talk. It
is good."

Talk is good, and as far as I'm currently aware, the so-called "Ferguson
Effect" has turned out to be real. Unfortunately and terribly so, with its
own real costs.

So, as I believe you implied, there is indeed a balance to strike between
the proverbial heart and head.

Anthony