[Xmca-l] Re: My Hometown Minneapolis

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Jun 7 11:09:37 PDT 2020

Hi Peg,

I do not know about Ady Barkan. I will have to take a look at your link.

My point in raising the notion of disabled folks protesting (even rioting and looting, or any one of the above), to express their malaise over social injustice, just made me think about today's problems a little bit differently.

You must know about Ed Roberts, then.

I maintain that this BLM discussion (if it is OK to call it that) is so difficult because of the way we talk about it.

We can't seem to imagine our way to a better place.

No one has yet taken my offer to imagine a better quality of life.

Imagination is the first part of planning, unless we want to include dreaming.

Kind regards,

Annalisa
________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Peg Griffin, Ph.D. <Peg.Griffin@att.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2020 8:15 PM
To: 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity' <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: My Hometown Minneapolis

  [EXTERNAL]

Hi, Annalisa,

Because of your interest in people with disabilities in protests, I thought might like to know about some things I’ve learned just because of where I happen to be living.

1. Today, I saw several people in wheelchairs and walkers at our various demonstrations around town.  Some I know fairly well because over the past few years they have been in a lot of plannings, meetings, trainings and actions that I have also been in.

2. There is a group referred to as “The littlest lobbyists" who have a local group here but who also have folks from elsewhere that come to DC on occasions important for ADA and IDEA and health care  legislation or court action. Usually family accompanies the children but sometimes it’s small school groups. There are also some grown-ups I’ve met in the group who have described themselves to me as having aged out of being little.

3. You probably all already know Ady Barkan who just takes my breath away. He’s 36 years old, a lawyer, activist, husband, father, and a superb organizer for the Center for Popular Democracy, and he has ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), a terminal illness.  His mobility and speech are increasingly compromised but he is not conquered. Here is  a link to “A Message from Ady Barkan to the movement.” https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://populardemocracy.org/2020__;!!Mih3wA!WBhonbWxatkdJ1WJm87bq-boTI_mkA13532fL-ke1k45BkHX25u3GbUyX-kyuSL7s0NgqQ$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://populardemocracy.org/2020__;!!Mih3wA!WIpzvPyEp3JNsLZlGn_Pxe08CLz5zaaH5FNInXvWUvc2kOXvOVe-0vXUdTYWhFVxvfv7jg$>

Peg