[Xmca-l] Re: My Hometown Minneapolis

Peg Griffin, Ph.D. Peg.Griffin@att.net
Sat Jun 6 19:15:42 PDT 2020

Hi, Annalisa,

Because of your interest in people with disabilities in protests, I thought
might like to know about some things I’ve learned just because of where I
happen to be living.

1. Today, I saw several people in wheelchairs and walkers at our various
demonstrations around town.  Some I know fairly well because over the past
few years they have been in a lot of plannings, meetings, trainings and
actions that I have also been in.

2. There is a group referred to as “The littlest lobbyists" who have a local
group here but who also have folks from elsewhere that come to DC on
occasions important for ADA and IDEA and health care  legislation or court
action. Usually family accompanies the children but sometimes it’s small
school groups. There are also some grown-ups I’ve met in the group who have
described themselves to me as having aged out of being little.

3. You probably all already know Ady Barkan who just takes my breath away.
He’s 36 years old, a lawyer, activist, husband, father, and a superb
organizer for the Center for Popular Democracy, and he has ALS (Amyotrophic
lateral sclerosis), a terminal illness.  His mobility and speech are
increasingly compromised but he is not conquered. Here is  a link to “A
Message from Ady Barkan to the movement.” https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://populardemocracy.org/2020__;!!Mih3wA!WIpzvPyEp3JNsLZlGn_Pxe08CLz5zaaH5FNInXvWUvc2kOXvOVe-0vXUdTYWhFVxvfv7jg$

Peg