[Xmca-l] Re: My Hometown Minneapolis

Rein Raud rein.raud@tlu.ee
Fri Jun 5 08:04:32 PDT 2020

Dear Anthony,

Could you please specify what are the “very best [ideas] of the right”? I really can’t see any at present, while the left is advocating a green turn, universal healthcare etc, which all seem rather sensible to me and some of those things are also the norm in most of Europe. It seems to me that the ideas of the old, original “left” and “right” have already been fused long since in the idea of social democracy, which tries to combine the principles of free-market economy with a system that evens out the starting opportunities for the non-privileged, disenfranchised and underrepresented. There is nothing surprising in the Trumpist you quoted saying that the very rich use the destitute to seize power from everyone else — this is a precise description of the Trump project, this is exactly what Trump has done. Note that populist politicians all over the world are constantly accusing everyone else in what they are trying to achieve (a deep state not ruled by open democratic institutions etc).

With best wishes,

RR

Rein Raud
Professor of Asian and Cultural Studies, Tallinn University
Uus-Sadama 5, Tallinn 10120 Estonia
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.reinraud.com__;!!Mih3wA!Tu7sXbBF2jalqZrKK0R0N_stVjKe1ZeGzKaKnuvbpm4gq3OflhXQqJ2LUIvCarebaqe5Qw$

“Meaning in Action: Outline of an Integral Theory of Culture”(Polity 2016) <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509511242__;!!Mih3wA!Tu7sXbBF2jalqZrKK0R0N_stVjKe1ZeGzKaKnuvbpm4gq3OflhXQqJ2LUIvCardz65V8Lg$ >
“Practices of Selfhood” (with Zygmunt Bauman, Polity 2015) <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9780745690162__;!!Mih3wA!Tu7sXbBF2jalqZrKK0R0N_stVjKe1ZeGzKaKnuvbpm4gq3OflhXQqJ2LUIvCardbNee9mA$ >