[Xmca-l] Re: The vibrations of consciousness

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Jul 26 15:54:37 PDT 2020

Hello Harshad and others,

I do not think I was alone in asking for your definitions. My role was merely emphasizing why it was important. I welcome others to push me to define my words. It engages me to think harder about my position.

In using your biological metaphor I might say that a word is like a virus, and that it kills its host. This doesn't help me understand what you mean when you use *your* words. As they are your words, not mine.

Just as you say, words vary in many ways they are comprehended, and that's why in a philosophical conversation (if that is what we are having), understanding the speaker's definition of a word is vital. It doesn't mean it is THE definition of the word, but the way the speaker chooses to use the word.

If I say word "A" and it can equally mean "a", "b" or "c" where "a?b?c", then for me to be understood, it is of value for me to say "when I say 'A,' I mean 'A=b' and nothing else."

You could on the other hand say "A" and mean "A=c" and David could use the word "A" and he could mean "A=a". There is no right or wrong way to use the word "A", but it is polite to be clear when someone asks, what do you mean when you say "A"?

Otherwise it just seems you do not wish to be transparent nor provide clarity, which doesn't lend to an equitable discussion.

For example, when you say "mankind" do you include women? It might be more inclusive on this listserv to say "humankind." When someone uses the term "mankind" it sort of says where the person is coming from, which does not include women as part of the discussion. This may antagonize others, even men who do consciously wish to be inclusive of women or non-binary gendered folks, who are people present on this list.

You say also say:

"As a responsible thinker and writer one should use a word with its popular, wisdomful and logically supported meaning without definition and same should be adhered with positively and frankly even if critiques might compel to correct the view/thought, there should not be any hesitation."

I beg to differ, a responsible thinker and writer should be open and transparent about the use of her words, and to effect welcome inquiry as to how the words are used. Much like were I to make a cake and someone were to ask me, "what is in your recipe? I would like to know." If I ignore the inquiry, it makes me look rude. Even to say "I can't tell you because it is a family secret" that would be far more polite than to meet the question with silence, to say nothing at all.

While an academic listserv is not a court of law, there are academics present who I sometimes feel possess basic natures of the skeptical kind, but I do not feel that in anyway they are unwelcome, nor is their skepticism intended to be unfriendly, though sometimes it might seem that way.

That's just the way academics ARE MADE. It is how they express their conatus! ??

There are times we don't like to be challenged, but it is for our self benefit to reflect upon our own beliefs which may not be sound. I offer that that is the most responsible posture to hold on this list.

You may not understand that the basis of your worldviews might have put off a few people, even angered them, it appears. But it is important not to cancel a person out as well. To encourage discussion, despite disagreement.

I invite you to look into the history of this listserv, so that you might understand better how it came to be and the wide scope of what people intend to do here. See: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_of_Comparative_Human_Cognition__;!!Mih3wA!S3rBuP1sXaDRJLHsfxp6c10iI1bEHS8HZZruz6LYZxo6ttg-oZ3te0Yd7HSgacuMrCJlhw$

I say this to help, not hinder. I do not position myself as authority on or about this list, but many have been intimidated when posting, and they shouldn't be.

Kind regards,

Annalisa