[Xmca-l] Re: The vibrations of consciousness

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Jul 26 15:08:23 PDT 2020

Hello Andy, Mike, and VO's,

But what is required for consciousness to express itself? Or does it require anything?

If perception is not required, then consciousness must be a base of some sort, by which everything turns.

If as Mike indicates, Marx's definition of consciousness is human beings' relationship to the environment, this sounds very similar to Spinoza's conatus. Because to relate to anything one must be consciously aware of it first, (but this puts us back to the brink of a fall, into the void on backs of turtles!)

When I am hungry, I do not perceive the apple first and then decide I am hungry. The hunger is there first and then when I see the apple. I might become aware I am hungry and then desire to eat the apple.

But I certainly do not see the apple, eat it, and then become aware that I was hungry. I don't reason like this about my hunger. It's there, or it's not there.

Unlike David says, there does have to be a genera, seeking a genera results when we can't get any "farther down" basis that could be denied to be something else. Truth is that which cannot be denied.

Conatus is a genera for the subsequent points Spinoza makes about pretty much everything. For him, it is a basic truth that cannot be denied.

Even when we ask "what is this definition for?" part of the exercise when defining the usage of the word, is sort of like understanding the rules of a game before we play it. What are the rules to which we are agree when we define this word?

Of course there is a context, there is always a context.

We can reflect on using a definition in the wrong context and all agree, "no that doesn't work," while in another context *it does*.

That awareness we bring to the definition helps in communicating the definition we intend to employ to develop the argument further along. Otherwise an argument falls apart, like a house on a soft foundation. Right?

So this is why I can, with *my* definition of consciousness, bring in the relationship of clouds and the lithosphere, because I make the distinction that consciousness is not solely human. There is nothing naughty about it, because I am being exceedingly consistent in my logic. There is no slight of hand, no demogogery.

Metaphors are totally allowable because they are simply maps to help show where we are. "This = that" but in employed very specific way, as for illustration, because metaphors are not global for use in any and all cases. Those are the rules of the game for using metaphors. The map is not the terrain, and we all know that.

Certainly Marx didn't believe in ghosts just because he used the word "spectre." (or did he??)

When David states: " ...ruling this or that subject matter off topic will prevent you from ever finding something that is both not consciousness and consciousness," really depends upon what you define consciousness to be! Though I do agree with you David that arbitrarily deciding this or that subject is off-topic prevents from identifying the non-conscious from the conscious, if I am not bending his words too much to find agreement in what he says.

That is why it's totally fine to talk about clouds and lithospheres when discussing consciousness.

Sorry to be difficult!

If everything is conscious, then how an entity springs (as-if) to be, is just an expression of conatus in that form of consciousness, specific to that form.

Consider the clay pot. We say "clay" as an adjective to the noun "pot," yet to map more precisely to reality we should say "potty clay", because the material of the pot *is* clay. Pot depends upon clay to exist. So no matter how we might debate of the linguistic flaw of saying "potty clay" (in light of our human language rules, specifically English), it doesn't change the reality of a manifest pot as a clay object in time and space.

When you say meaning is organization, what is the meaning of the destruction of something, while still not being entropic? Is it possible? Fascists are huge fans of organization. Does it mean that Fascists are more conscious, or less entropic?

 Entropy is "a measure of the energy that is not available for work during a thermodynamic process." For a closed system, the system "evolves toward a state of maximum entropy." In an open system, there can be increase and decrease in entropy toward infinity, because where that energy isn't located in one part of the system, it is located in a different part or different system. It is a constant play of musical chairs where no one removes the chairs, but the music continues to go on and off and the same number of players go without chairs, even if the individuals sometimes have a chair, and sometimes don't.

I am reflecting upon when you say consciousness (as the highest form of meaning and organization) "is the defiance of entropy, and the very fact that both matter and information have entropy and defy it shows that Spinoza is right: everything around us can be thought of as either matter or as meaning, or as increasing or decreasing in entropy."

I am not remembering where Spinoza indicated that all that is here is meaning and matter (I presume combined) in a state of increasing or decreasing entropy. Would you mind letting me know where he said this? I am itching to know, so I would be most grateful for the location of that citation, not literally, but from where you gain this insight as being his?

By definition, entropy in a closed system derives to maximum entropy. If consciousness is solely human, that would be a closed system. We would evolve to a state of maximum entropy, meaning I suppose that we each would have less ability to defy entropy than our grandparents, and even the Neanderthals.

That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm pretty sure Spinoza did not consider consciousness to be solely human; it's the only way he could conceive of conatus as he did.

I do agree that consciousness defies entropy, because it is from where everything springs, including entropy.

What I wonder is whether Vygotsky wrestled with Spinoza's version of conatus, in order to wear it away from Spinoza's worldviews on emotion and affection, to show them in play without a God as a central basis for conatus (as nature). Interestingly, this would actually transform conatus into a drive to clean clocks and maintain machines. It would be a world without consciousness, a universe of brain-eating zombies, perhaps.

Spinoza did not refute free will per se, but that our will is determined from our natures. The choices provided are the choices that we are given. Who gives? An immanent God does, in the way the clay provides form to the pot.

Americans in order to vote, must vote either for republicans or democrats. I might vote for one or the other, though I may actually want to vote libertarian or green. Is that a choice of free will? Is it *all* free will? Is it *all* determined? It is both (and neither).

In this sense, the clouds DO mean rain, when on the surface of the earth, and the lithosphere CAN also mean time, since the crust of the earth can be said to last longer than human existence, and will likely exist long after we are gone. In both instances the context pertains whether one makes reference on the earth, from Mars, or some other form of transport in the realm of space, with or without a clock.

As Einstein states, it is relative.

(Hmmm.... Or.... is it a relationship?)

Kind regards,

Annalisa